Krišjānis Barons life - from the corvee times to the loyalty of Latvia:
- 1835. 31 X - was born in Strutele in the family of Juris and Enģele, servants of the estate.
- 1842 - school years in Dobele, then at Kubele school (Dundaga).
- 1848 - 1851 - studies at Ventspils elementary school and district school.
- 1852 - 1855 - studies at Jelgava gymnasium.
- 1856 - 1860 - studies at Tērbata (Dorpat, Tartu) university, at the faculty of Physics and Mathematics with specialization in astronomy. Taking part at work of Latvian students' society. The trip from Tērbata to Dundaga on foot. The geography book "The Description of Our Fatherland".
- 1862 - 1865 - work in St.Petersburg with the Latvian newspaper "Pēterburgas Avīzes". Married to Dārta Rudzīte. The son Kārlis was born Oct. 13, 1865.
- 1867 - 1880 - work as a tutor in Vorone? province Uderevka estate in the Stankevi?s family. Made the bibliography about the Baltic provinces (1867).
- 1878 - beginning of work of summing up and systematization of Latvian folk songs in Moscow.
- 1880 - a German carpenter in Moscow made the famous Dainu shelf .
- 1893 - Returning to Riga.
- March, 1894 - the 1st part of "Latvju dainas" was published in Jelgava.
- 1900 - 1909 - hiring a flat in Āgenskalns together with his wife. Intensive publishing work of Latvju dainas.
- 1909 - 1919 - life in Vecmilgrāvis in the Burtnieku House, made after Augusts Dombrovskis (1845 - 1927) - wood industry manufacturer and patron.
- June 1914 - death of his wife Dārta (born in 1838 in Limbaži).
- 1915 - Conclusion of Dainu publishing work .
- 1919, summer - move to the centre of Riga, 3 Suvorova (now: Krišjāņa Barona) street, where he spent the rest of his life in his son's family.
- 1920 - 1923 - work at "Selection of Latvju Dainas" and "Memories" together with his daughter - in - law L?na. The beginning of the work about folk song metrics.
- 1923, March 8 - Death.
- 1923, March 14 - Kr.Barons last way from the Dome Church to the Big cemetery (Lielie kapi).
The monument to Krišjānis Barons - the outstanding Latvian folklore man (1835 - 1923) - was unveiled in Vērmanes garden in Oct 31, 1985. The same day the Barons museum was opened at 3, Krišjānis Barons Street. Here the prominent Latvian culture man spent the last four years of his life (1919 - 1923). He was surrounded by the love of his near people at the end of his life giving them back his quietness and experience. The world of Dainas had changed the life of the Dainas collector. Even when he was very tired the native wisdom of the folk gave him satisfaction, clarity and indicated the right order of the eternal things. "This work has been done, What will be the next one?",
Krišjānis Barons wrote when he got the last volumes of Latvju dainas edition (6 volumes in 8 books, 1894 -1915). The work was continued until the end of his life. Kr.Barons was specially interested in the metrics of folk songs. The Education Ministry of Latvia requested Kr.Barons to compile the selection of Latvju Dainas for school youth. Kr. Barons did this together with his dear ,,daughter - in - law willow - catkin" Līna Barons (1872 - 1932). Līna also helped to write the book "Memories". This work was published after Kr.Barons death in 1924. Unfortunately Kr.Barons left this world just in the middle of the intended works, yet not everybody had given such a great happiness to see how the job of his life reached the people. Not everybody had got the chance to say the famous words after the work done: "Oh yes, a bit has been done..." The life of a man is as spotted as a woodpecker's stomach (Latvian proverb). Events follow and cover each other like roofchips. And if you went through the life with clear aim and clear conviction, the roof of your life was waterproof and you didn't need to worry about the storms around you. The life of Kr.Barons was full of joyful and sad events - he had to experience how to get over the difficulties, to face the emptiness of ignorance, to feel the temptation and disappointment of far and near countries. The life of a man can be also as a history book - but not just the succession the years.